Eat Right With Color: California Niçoise Salad
Now that we have given tips for hard-boiling and peeling eggs, here is an idea on how to use them. The Safest Choice™ California Niçoise Salad (sounds like nee-swahz) is a nutritional powerhouse that uses lots of hard-boiled eggs and vegetables.
All of the colorful vegetables make this low sodium, high fiber salad beautiful to look at and good for you. The arugula, one of the most nutritious salad greens, is full of vitamins (A, C, K and B6) and minerals (calcium and iron). Not only is it rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber like other leafy vegetables but it is also packed with disease-preventing antioxidants.
Green beans are high in fiber, contain over 10 necessary minerals (phosphorus, calcium and magnesium), and are loaded with vitamins (A, B, C, E and K). The avocados provide more fiber, along with potassium and vitamins E, B. Red Peppers are also a good source of fiber and vitamins (A, C, E, K, and B6) along with Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Potassium and Manganese.
California Niçoise Salad
6 Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Shell Eggs (hard-boiled)
1.5 oz Bibb lettuce (chopped and rinsed clean)
1.5 oz. Arugula (rinsed clean)
6 oz. Red bell peppers (julienne & roasted)
2.5 oz. Yellow onion (julienne & roasted)
.5 lb Sweet potato chips (frozen or fresh)
.5 lb Green beans (blanched al dente)
1 Avocado (diced)
5 oz Tomatoes (diced)
1 Garlic clove (peeled and mashed into a purée)
.5 oz. Cilantro
1/3 c Olive oil
2 tsp Lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Remove the shells from hard-boiled eggs and quarter each egg.
2. Prepare avocado salsa by combining all ingredients and set aside in refrigerator until ready for use.
3. Roast peppers and onions until al dente and set aside until ready for use.
4. Blanch green beans by bringing water to a boil, adding green beans, and allowing the water to return to a boil. After two minutes, strain the vegetables quickly and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. Strain again and set aside. Beans should be al dente (still firm but not hard).
5. Rinse and chop greens.
6. Fry frozen or fresh sweet potatoes. Drain.
7. Combine greens with avocado salsa. Arrange or garnish with eggs, roasted bell peppers & onions, green beans, & sweet potatoes.