Eggnog Yule Log Recipe
This eggnog yule log is a creative take on the classic rolled cake—and an extra festive way to enjoy your eggnog this holiday season!
Recipe courtesy Robin Sue of Big Red Kitchen.
Active time: 90 minutes
Total time: 2.5 hours
- 6 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg yolk(s)
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 c heavy cream
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
adapted from Safest Choice™ Classic Eggnog
- Set aside egg whites for the Cake Roll.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together 6 egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow, creamy, and fluffy. Add cream, milk, vanilla, and nutmeg, stirring until smooth.
- Recipe makes about 4 cups of eggnog. Set aside 2 cups for the Yule Log and enjoy the rest with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- 2 c eggnog
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp dark rum (optional)
- 2/3 c whipped heavy whipping cream, store in refrigerator until later
- In a medium pan, over medium heat, whisk together eggnog, milk, sugar, corn starch, and salt. Continue stirring until mixture becomes very thick. Lower heat and stir one minute more. Do not get your custard too hot, and do not stop stirring, or you will scramble the eggs!
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and rum.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, being sure the film touches the custard to prevent a thick layer. Store in refrigerator until custard is completely chilled.
Meanwhile bake the cake roll.
- 1/2 c sifted cake flour
- 2/3 c sifted powdered sugar
- 6 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg white(s)
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together cake flour and powdered sugar; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until soft peaks form; about 4 minutes. Beat in sugar, two tablespoons at a time until well incorporated and the egg whites form stiff and glossy peaks.
- By fourths, fold in the flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour batter into 8x11 inch jellyroll pan with sides that have been lined with waxed paper, do not grease. Bake for 9 minutes. Cake will look puffed and golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
- Fold whipped cream into the eggnog custard and spread over cooled cake.
- Starting at the long end, start rolling the log toward you while peeling the waxed paper from the cake.
- Place the log on a pretty platter and cut a one inch slice from one end and place it on top of the log.
- Decorate with mint leaves and candy mushrooms made from bell-shaped or kiss-shaped chocolates and mini marshmallows that have been threaded onto a toothpick.
- Sprinkle the log with powdered sugar and nutmeg. Chill until ready to serve. Slice into 10 slices.
To get the powdered sugar to stick to the chocolates (which are Nestle Crunch™ Jingles), dip the chocolates in water then roll them in powdered sugar.
Why use Safest Choice™ Eggs in this recipe?
Salmonella worry-free pasteurized eggs make for safe eggnog, so you can crack Safest Choice™ eggs with confidence for all your holiday recipes!
Be the first to review this recipe!
Serving Size (1 slice)
Total Servings 10
Amount Per Serving:
|Calories from Fat||160|
|Total Fat||18g (28% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||11g (55% DV)|
|Cholesterol||115mg (38% DV)|
|Sodium||210mg (9% DV)|
|38g (13% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||0g (0% DV)|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Davidson's Safest Choice™ Eggs are pasteurized in our all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella. Find out more!
The Raw Egg Risk
Safest Choice™ Eggs aren't just good for sunny side up or poached eggs. Consider all the recipes that feature raw eggs, like eggnog, Caesar salad dressing, raw cookie dough, custard and more. Take homemade ice cream, for example. Over a four-year period, more than 500 illnesses in the US were traced to Salmonella bacteria in homemade ice cream, according to the CDC. The ingredient at fault? Raw or undercooked eggs.
Avoid the raw egg risk & get coupons!
Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs are worry-free. Click for coupons!