Frittata with Zucchini Recipe
"One of the vegetable dishes my mother used to teach students at her school in Bologna is Zucchine alla Brianzola, zucchini sautéed with lots of caramelized onions. I used to love this dish best, and have discovered that it also makes a delicious frittata!" —Chef Giuliano
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 large sweet yellow onion
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 12 oz zucchini, preferably small ones
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
- Peel and thinly slice the onion crosswise. Put 2½ tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onion and season lightly with salt. Sauté until the onion has softened and turned a light caramel color, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the onion is sautéing, wash the zucchini, remove the ends, and cut into thin rounds about ¹⁄? inch thick. When the onion is ready, add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is quite tender and has started to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini is cooking, put the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat until the yolks and whites are evenly mixed.
- When the zucchini is ready, transfer the contents of the pan to the bowl with the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Put the remaining ½ tablespoon butter in the skillet and return to medium heat. When the butter is hot, pour in the egg-and-zucchini mixture. Cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, then place under the broiler until the top is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Slide the frittata onto a cutting board. Cut into slices and serve hot or at room temperature.
Why use Safest Choice™ Eggs in this recipe?
Complement this healthy recipe with food safety when you choose pasteurized eggs for your frittatas! It’s a great wellness plan.
Be the first to review this recipe!
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe)
Total Servings 4
Amount Per Serving:
|Calories from Fat||140|
|Total Fat||15g (23% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||7g (35% DV)|
|Cholesterol||255mg (85% DV)|
|Sodium||80mg (3% DV)|
|6g (2% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||1g (4% DV)|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Davidson's Safest Choice™ Eggs are pasteurized in our all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella. Find out more!
The Raw Egg Risk
Safest Choice™ Eggs aren't just good for sunny side up or poached eggs. Consider all the recipes that feature raw eggs, like eggnog, Caesar salad dressing, raw cookie dough, custard and more. Take homemade ice cream, for example. Over a four-year period, more than 500 illnesses in the US were traced to Salmonella bacteria in homemade ice cream, according to the CDC. The ingredient at fault? Raw or undercooked eggs.
Avoid the raw egg risk & get coupons!
Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs are worry-free. Click for coupons!