Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
"I love pumpkin bread so much, I had to find a way to make it healthier. This one is lower in sodium (no salt), and one-quarter the fat of my traditional recipe, plus it's much higher in fiber... and deliciously moist! The whole-grain, coarse-grind cornmeal gives it a little crunch." — Food Fanatic
Active time: 10 min
Total time: 75 min
- 4 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 2/3 c water
- 22 oz canned pumpkin (one and a half cans)
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 1/2 c whole-grain, coarse grind cornmeal
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Whisk eggs, water, oil, and pumpkin until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all remaining ingredients together.
- Pour the moist ingredients over the flour mixture, and fold until mixed. (Do not overmix.)
- Pour into two standard loaf pans (greased) and bake at 350° F for 65 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a cooling rack. When cool, turn each loaf on its side and slice into 8 slices.
Why use Safest Choice™ Eggs in this recipe?
Cracking eggs for your favorite quick bread recipes can get Salmonella on your hands –and around your kitchen. But you can bake with Safest Choice™ pasteurized eggs worry-free. They’re pasteurized to eliminate the risk of Salmonella.
by Sarah Highlen on 01/15/13
Substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the regular flour. Cornmeal sounds like a funny idea but it's not! Delicious.
Serving Size (1 slice)
Total Servings 18
Amount Per Serving:
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Total Fat||5g (8% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||.5g (3% DV)|
|Cholesterol||40mg (13% DV)|
|Sodium||120mg (5% DV)|
|44g (15% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||3g (12% DV)|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Davidson's Safest Choice™ Eggs are pasteurized in our all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella. Find out more!
The Raw Egg Risk
Safest Choice™ Eggs aren't just good for sunny side up or poached eggs. Consider all the recipes that feature raw eggs, like eggnog, Caesar salad dressing, raw cookie dough, custard and more. Take homemade ice cream, for example. Over a four-year period, more than 500 illnesses in the US were traced to Salmonella bacteria in homemade ice cream, according to the CDC. The ingredient at fault? Raw or undercooked eggs.
Avoid the raw egg risk & get coupons!
Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs are worry-free. Click for coupons!