Mocha Mousse Recipe
Carolyn of All Day I Dream About Food shares a great mocha mousse recipe using Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs! The creamy chocolate and mocha flavors combine for a delicious taste that is sure to indulge that chocolate craving.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s), separated
- 1/4 to 1/2 c strongly brewed coffee
- 6 Tbsp powdered erythritol, divided OR
- 1/2 c powdered sugar, divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 c heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 drops stevia extract (omit if using sugar)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks together until smooth. When chocolate is lukewarm, whisk in egg yolks. Mixture will become very thick and chocolate will seize. Add ¼ cup strong coffee and whisk vigorously. Continue to add 1 tbsp strong coffee at a time until chocolate mixture becomes smooth (will still be quite thick). Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with 2 tbsp powdered erythritol (or ¼ cup powdered sugar), the salt and the cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks but are not dry. This may take 10 minutes or so. Use a stand mixer if you have one.
- In another bowl, beat cream with remaining erythritol (or remaining sugar), the vanilla and stevia (if using) until it holds soft peaks.
- Stir a couple of large spoonfuls of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then carefully fold the chocolate mixture back into the egg whites. Fold in the cream thoroughly but gently. Spoon or pipe into serving dish or individual serving cups and chill at least 2 hours.
This recipe was tested for nutritional information using the option of erythritol instead of powdered sugar.
Why use Safest Choice™ Eggs in this recipe?
Using whipped eggs whites without cooking them is now safe with Safest Choice™ eggs because they’re pasteurized! Try them for all your recipes using raw egg whites.
Be the first to review this recipe!
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe)
Total Servings 8
Amount Per Serving:
|Calories from Fat||170|
|Total Fat||19g (29% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||11g (55% DV)|
|Cholesterol||130mg (43% DV)|
|Sodium||75mg (3% DV)|
|21g (7% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||0g (0% DV)|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The Safest Choice™ patented, all natural, award-winning egg pasteurization process eliminates the risk of Salmonella in eggs before the eggs even enter your kitchen. Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs are perfect for: sunny side up eggs, poached eggs, soft scrambled eggs, omelets, Tiramisù, Caesar salad dressing, Hollandaise sauce, mousse, homemade mayonnaise, homemade ice cream…and licking the spoon when you bake.
The Raw Egg Risk
Safest Choice™ Eggs aren't just good for sunny side up or poached eggs. Consider all the recipes that feature raw eggs, like eggnog, Caesar salad dressing, raw cookie dough, custard and more. Take homemade ice cream, for example. Over a four-year period, more than 500 illnesses in the US were traced to Salmonella bacteria in homemade ice cream, according to the CDC. The ingredient at fault? Raw or undercooked eggs.
Avoid the raw egg risk & get coupons!
Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs are worry-free. Click for coupons!