Adri's Tiramisù Recipe
"This is the famous "Pick me Up" dessert created at restaurant Le Beccherie in Treviso, Italy. A wonderful combination of liquor soaked ladyfingers, mascarpone cream, cocoa and chocolate, this was a hit from the day it was created. For years I used raw eggs in this recipe, but when Salmonella became an issue, I could no longer make it. Now using Safest Choice™ Eggs, my family can once again enjoy this favorite dessert." — AdriBarr
Active time: 30 minutes
- 4 Davidson's Safest Choice® pasteurized egg yolk(s)
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb mascarpone
- 1/2 c half and half
- 2 oz Punch Abruzzo
- 5 Davidson's Safest Choice® pasteurized egg white(s)
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 c brewed espresso
- 24 Savoiardi biscuits
- 1/4 c shaved bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 c dark Dutch-process cocoa
- Fit a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, and beat yolks, sugar and salt together until light and pale yellow, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scrape bowl, and add chilled mascarpone, beating until light and free of lumps. The whisk will begin to leave a trail in the mixture as you near “done time.” Do not walk away from the mixer - the mascarpone will break if left to beat too long.
- Beat in half and half, 1 ounce Punch Abruzzo (note: this is HALF the total amount called for in the recipe). Set aside. (Can't find Punch Abruzzo? See Variations below.)
- Using a clean bowl and whisk, whip egg whites 1 minute at medium speed. Add cream of tartar and increase speed to high. At four minutes whites will still appear loose and will have expanded very little. Keep beating. The whites will take 8 to 10 minutes to expand fully.
- Fold 1/3 of the beaten whites into mascarpone mixture to lighten. Fold the remainder of the whites in two batches, being careful not to deflate whites.
- Combine espresso and remaining 1 ounce Punch Abruzzo in pie plate. Holding the Savoiardi sugar side up, very quickly dip in espresso mixture halfway up their sides. Your goal is to moisten them, not to drench them. If left more than a second or two in the mixture, they will absorb too much liquid and weep into the Tiramisù, destroying its light, creamy texture.
- Line the bottom of a 9 X 9 X 2 inch pan with 1 dozen (possibly a few more) dipped Savoiardi. You may have to break the Savoiardi in half or quarters to completely cover the bottom of the dish. Blanket the Savoiardi with half the mascarpone mixture, smoothing and leveling top. Cover with another layer of dipped Savoiardi. Top with remaining mascarpone mixture, smoothing and leveling top. Sprinkle shaved chocolate over and dust with cocoa. Cover with plastic.
- Refrigerate at least 8 and up to 24 hours prior to serving.
Safest Choice™ egg whites can take a bit longer to whip than non-pasteurized whites. I suggest you view the video on this subject; it is quite informative, and will explain how to treat these whites. When I switched to Davidson's Safest Choice™ Eggs for this recipe, I added one extra white in order to achieve the volume of whites I wanted. And a word of caution: mascarpone can "break" if overbeaten. Use it cold, from the fridge to avoid this pitfall.
I like to use Punch Abruzzo here. With its flavor profile of rum, coffee, spices, and orange, this liqueur from Italy's Abruzzo region is a delight in Tiramisù. If you can not find Punch Abruzzo, substitute by adding 1 ounce dark rum to the espresso and 1 ounce coffee liqueur plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to the mascarpone mixture.
Be the first to review this recipe!
User-submitted recipes are published for sharing within the community of Davidson's Safest Choice® pasteurized eggs website visitors. Recipes and statements contained in recipes have not been verified by Davidson's Safest Choice® pasteurized eggs. We invite you to try them yourself and add your reviews, photos, and ideas. Enjoy!
News, Recipes, & Coupons
Sign up today to receive our monthly email.
Serving Size (1/9 of pan)
Total Servings 9
Amount Per Serving:
|Calories from Fat||270|
|Total Fat||30g (46% DV)|
|Saturated Fat||16g (80% DV)|
|Cholesterol||225mg (75% DV)|
|Sodium||300mg (13% DV)|
|36g (12% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||1g (4% DV)|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Davidson's Safest Choice® pasteurized eggs taste great and are safe for all your favorite egg dishes! Davidson's gentle water bath pasteurization reduces the risk of Salmonella in eggs without changing the nutrition or flavor. In fact, Davidson's pasteurized eggs have earned the Seal of Approval for exceptional flavor and culinary performance from the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
The Raw Egg Risk
Davidson's eggs aren't just good for sunny-side up or poached eggs. Consider all the recipes that feature raw eggs, like eggnog, Caesar salad dressing, raw cookie dough, custard and more. Take homemade ice cream, for example. Over a four-year period, more than 500 illnesses in the US were traced to Salmonella bacteria in homemade ice cream, according to the CDC. The ingredient at fault? Raw or undercooked eggs.
Join our mailing list and receive a free recipe book!
Join our mailing list and receive a free recipe book!
Keep up to date on all the latest Davidson's Safest Choice® news, recipes & coupons!
Keep up to date on all the latest Davidson's Safest Choice® news, recipes & coupons! We'll send you yummy and seasonal recipes, coupons, and more. Sign up today and get a free recipe book with our top recipes!