Registered Dietitians & Health Professionals
If you are a Registered Dietitian (RD) or related health professional, we understand that your clients count on you for sound advice about nutrition and food safety. We invite you to use National Pasteurized Eggs as your partner and resource in consumer education.
Manage the Salmonella Risk
Food safety can be an important part of everyone’s health routine. Every year, 1 in 6 Americans gets foodborne illness. More than 1 million Americans get sick from Salmonella in food. Especially at certain stages of life, avoiding foodborne illness can be challenging.
Anyone who is pregnant or in the golden years of life is particularly vulnerable to foodborne illness. The same is true for small children. In fact, 1 in 5 Americans is at heightened risk for foodborne illness, according to 2011 research.
With 4 out of 5 Salmonella enteritidis illnesses linked to eggs, your clients—especially those at risk—need to know they can protect their health by choosing pasteurized eggs for their favorite recipes.
Eggs: Nutrition and Wellness
Eggs play a role in a variety of health and wellness goals, too. As nutrition science grows, here are a few facts worth knowing:
- Eating eggs at breakfast reduces ghrelin, a hormone that contributes to hunger, and can contribute to healthy weight maintenance.
- Revised USDA nutrient data shows that eggs are lower in cholesterol and higher in vitamin D than previously thought.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that are highly bioavailable from eggs, can help prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
- For anyone with diabetes, eating eggs in the morning helps keep blood sugar and insulin levels under control all day long.
- For pregnant women, egg nutrients such as protein, choline, folate, and iron contribute to healthy maternal nutrition and fetal development. At the same time, extra precautions for food safety help protect mom and baby’s health.
Learn more about applying Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs to your clients’ nutritional needs:
Download the free PDF file, Eggs: Nutrition & Wellness Backgrounder.
Order brochures and coupons for your clients.
Safest Choice™ resources for foodservice professionals include Cracking Edge newsletter, free CE, quantity recipes, inservice training materials, Culture Change materials, temperature logs, and more. Visit SafeEggs.com/foodservice.
For more information, contact: Debbie Rayhab, MBA, Director of Healthcare Marketing
Cell: 615-584-0732; E-Mail: email@example.com